LIVE LEAN – lower cost!
We have lowered the cost of LIVE LEAN starting on May 15th, 2012 so that more people can benefit from this 12-week GROUP program that will coach you to success!
LIVE LEAN helps you step-by-step establish a realistic, easy-to-follow, satisfying weight loss plan that reflects your unique needs, food and exercise preferences, abilities and lifestyle. It provides the education, skills, accountability, motivation, and professional and peer support that you need to make simple, powerful and lasting lifestyle changes and reach your health and weight goals.
48-hour program includes: 12 nutrition classes, 24 fitness classes (optional), personalized meal plan, grocery shopping tour & much more!
Cost: $585 (OR $440 for nutrition classes only)
Check your health benefits plan for “Registered Dietitian” coverage.
To register, fill out attached registration form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The older we get, the more we want to slow time and delay the natural aging process. Over time, concerns about weight, skin, hair, pain, memory and chronic disease surface. If you want to feel and look your best and fight the signs of aging, focus on these key secrets to success!
Secret # 1 Pile up on produce. It is no surprise that loading up on fruits and vegetables will help with weight control – they are low in calories and high in fibre and water which help you stay full and prevent overeating. But fruits and vegetables also provide powerful substances that can slow the aging process and promote longevity. These include phytochemicals, antioxidants and other nutrients known to protect against free radicals (unstable molecules that damage cells), limit inflammation, boost your immune system, and decrease disease. For instance, berries are full of Vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that can help you maintain a healthy complexion and ward off wrinkles and dry skin. Dark leafy greens are high in lutein and zeaxanthin, plant pigments that can help preserve eyesight; and potassium, a mineral that promotes bone health and keeps your blood pressure in check.
Secret # 2 Maintain muscle. As we age, we lose muscle, which slows down our metabolism – making us prone to excess fat storage.To help maintain metabolism-boosting muscle:
1. Get adequate protein. Not only does protein keep you full, it helps you build and maintain muscle. Include a protein source at every meal and snack: white, skinless poultry, lean cuts of meat, fish, seafood, eggs, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, soy, milk, yogurt or low fat cheese.
2. Include strength training. Most people know to exercise, but many people neglect strength-training activities that help preserve and enhance muscle, reduce body fat, and help burn calories more efficiently. Include at least 2 strength-training sessions a week (20-30 minutes each).
Secret # 3 Fit in fat. Some people avoid fat to limit calories but we need fat to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, keep our skin soft, and fuel our bodies. Food sources of fat have many important roles – nuts, including hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts are full of antioxidants; fatty-fish, including salmon, trout and tuna are high in omega-3s that help reduce heart disease and stroke; olive oil, canola oil and avocado contain monounsaturated fat that helps reduce total and bad cholesterol.
Secret # 4 Focus on fibre. Like protein, fibre helps to manage blood sugars, appetite, cravings and weight. Fibre also helps to keep your bowels healthy and reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes. Women need ~ 25 g of fibre per day. Rich sources include: whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and fruits and vegetables.
Take home tips:
- Include protein at every meal & snack
- Include 2-3 servings of milk/alternatives per day
- Choose whole grains vs. white processed grains/starches & sugar
- Eat 2-3 fruits per day
- Eat 1 cup of vegetables at both lunch & dinner (minimum)
- Eat fatty fish 2-3 x per week (3 oz. servings)
- Eat nuts & seeds 3-4 x per week (1/4 cup servings)
- Eat beans & legumes 3-4 x per week (3/4 cup servings)
- Consume 2-3 tsp. of healthy fats/oils per day
- Strength train 2x per week (minimum)
Yours in health,
Stefanie Senior, Registered Dietitian
Athletic Edge Sports Medicine
121 King St. W, Suite 1100, Toronto
Phone: 416 800 0800 ext. 0 Fax: 416 800 0802
Check out the LIVE LEAN website: www.live-lean.ca